Stuff happened during the past week in women’s tennis that had people talking.
1. Serena Williams continued where she left off by winning a title in Brisbane and doing so without dropping a set.
2. In getting to the final, Serena faced young up and comer Sloane Stephens, who after losing the first set to Serena 6-4, told her coach that she felt Serena was being disrespectful with her come ons. All I have to say is welcome to the big leagues Sloane. This is not the juniors. Word has it that Sloane was joking around with her coach when she mentioned the dis word. Yeah, I believe that inasmuch as I believed that Serena meant to compliment Eva Asderaki by telling her that she was unattractive inside.
3. The semi-final showdown between Serena and Azarenka did not happen as Azarenka withdrew from her match with an injury caused by a pedicure … and so it goes
4. Kuznetsova is playing well, even though she lost to Kerber in the quarters.
5. Petra Kvitova is still MIA. Someone needs to tell her that the season has started.
6. Wozniacki is one up on Kvitova as unlike Kvitova she has actually scored a win this season.
7. Agnieska Radwanska has already won a tournament (Auckland) and is in the final of another (Sydney).
8. Kerber is doing her usual thing. Winning when she should not and losing when she should. She went down in 3 sets to Cibulkova in the semifinals of Sydney.
WHO YOU SHOULD BE WATCHING IN 2013
1. If you have never seen her play, keep an eye out for Madison Keys. Big serve, woeful forehand, powerful backhand. Slow, but lots of room for improvement.
2. Lauren Davis. A fighter if there ever was one.
3. Ksenia Pervak. If only she could stay healthy. Great game. Lots of positive composure out there.
4. Heather Watson. A feisty Brit who is coming off hr best season ever in 2012 after winning her first tournament in Osaka.
The draw ceremony is about to begin and the question the tennis world is asking … who gets Serena Williams? You read it here first. She will be in the top half of the draw.